The Praxeme Frame is a simple yet versatile tool that helps organization reflect on, model and conceive their business and systems, paving the way for an effective and sustainable transformation. (Savrak Sar)
CEISAR recommends structuring the operational model into three models, as show in the figure below. Like Praxeme, it isolates an abstract model, upstream from the organization and the processes. This approach is essential to ensure innovation in the organization and the quality of the information system. The arrows on this diagram show the links or determinations. The equivalences with the aspects of the Enterprise System are easily established.
Content of the workshop
Not a day passes without a new Data term (Data broker, Data scientist, Big Data, Smart Data, Chief Data Officer, Data virtualization…), a new Data solution announcement… stick Data onto what you do and it becomes a buzz word.
A current trend, a set of issues as old as the world, a change of paradigm…, the objective of this Praxeme workshop on “Data Architecture” is to take a step back and debate what would a Data Architecture be and what guidance the Praxeme method could bring.
First part: Data world
- Tipping point: signals around data
- Overview of Data topics: Open Data, Data Vizualization, Big Data, Data policy, “AGL” Data, Data provider, Master Data, MetaData, Data Lake…
- From the Data game to the Data war… what will the world be like afterwards?
- I am a Data Scientist, a Data Manager… inventory of Data professions
Second part: Data architecture
- What value proposition?
- What representation?
Debate and discussion on these questions and on what the methodological contribution can bring.
The workshop proposed is an initial discovery within this wave of data. Far from having all the answers, it is about sharing and shedding a first light on the topic and especially exchanging, reacting and contributing one’s viewpoint.
As the number of places is limited, please only register if you are certain to attend.
Joël Bizingre, Conix Consulting
Workshop support [fr]
- Location: Paris region
- Date: 09/07/2014, from 6pm – 8pm
- Registration (compulsory): https://www.weezevent.com/praxeme-etla-data-architecture
Praxeme is an enterprise methodology. It can be applied to any organized and voluntary system: organization, information system or technical system. It covers all aspects of these systems: from the culture and values of the enterprise to its infrastructure, via knowledge, the organization and the processes. This interdisciplinary approach answers the need to link specialties together to think the enterprise as a whole and aid in its transformation.
Enterprises, government agencies and other organizations evolve in an ever-changing environment; they deal with uncertainty on a daily basis. Continually alert, they have to adapt, modernize and transform themselves.
Praxeme provides an analytical framework of the enterprise, in all its dimensions. Its procedures and methods enable it to capture all the elements that make up the reality of the enterprise, as well as the significant elements in its environment. Acting on the enterprise presupposes that we understand and apprehend it in all its complexity. To this end, Praxeme assembles the analysis and representation techniques that are of benefit to the strategy, design and transformation.
Scope of the method
Praxeme aims to cover all the enterprise aspects, from values to infrastructure, from strategy to deployment (see the reference framework). Those who promote Praxeme think, indeed, that the main need of an enterprise is to organize the synergy between the disciplines and specialties that are not used to working together.
Applications of the method
Praxeme has been able to demonstrate its use in very varied contexts:
- enterprise transformation and business architecture;
- overhaul of information systems;
- redesign of business processes and organizational innovation;
- modeling of technical systems (weaponry, drone systems, transport systems);
- IT projects.
For more information on the applications: see the wiki.
Praxeme covers both levels:
- the method, a set of practical answers to the question “how do we…?”;
- the methodology, discourse on the method.
The methodology is presented through guides which establish the fundamentals of the method and justify the measures. The methodological guides are aimed at people – method or quality engineers, enterprise architects, trainers, transformation managers… – who need to understand the overall logic and implications of the approach Praxeme provides.
The structure of the method
The Pro3 (pro cube) schema shows the chapters of the methodology:
- Product: What are we talking about? What is the object that we are building or transforming (the enterprise, a federation of enterprises, a socio-technical system, an application…)?
- Process: How can we organize ourselves? How can we work together?
- Procedures and methods: How can we work individually? How can we work well?
Understanding the internal logic of the Product is, in our opinion, a prerequisite to answering the “How” question. The analysis of the overall aim sits atop this structure and brings us continually back to the question of justification, the question which extends the methodology to the quality domain.